Mother’s Day
This has been a very busy spring for us: trips, visitors, house projects, nesting instincts. Since I’m not doing a very good job of documenting our life (at least as far as the blog is concerned), I’m just going to have to recap some things retroactively.
This has been a very fun and active stage of Allison’s life. She’s learning new words every day, running wherever she's headed, and generally making us laugh and shake our heads in amazement on most days. I know that I am extremely blessed to be the mother of such a sweet, happy, healthy girl.
This mother’s day was a celebration of that gift, plus the hope of becoming a mom to the little boy growing bigger inside of me (I’m 32 of 40 weeks), plus the blessing of having my own mother in town to celebrate together. I am especially mindful of these blessings as I remember that there are many people who have lost their moms, who are unable to become moms themselves, or who have lost babies.
My mother’s day wish this year was to get a garden planted. It has long been my goal to have a garden that produces SOMETHING (besides herbs, which hardly count since I plant them fully grown), but I have been thwarted in the past by bad soil, lack of sunlight, lack of bees (seriously, I had a pollination issue in Seattle), and lack of yard (when we were renters). I try to comfort myself that it’s not just that I have a black thumb, because I’ve been successful with plants, shrubs, and flowers. But for some reason, a vegetable garden just hasn’t been a reality for me yet.
Now, I do realize that giving birth in mid-July will probably put a pretty big damper on my gardening time. But I reasoned that if I got a few things in the ground, maybe they could be established enough that by mid-summer, I can send Seth out to bring in the bounty of zucchini and tomatoes and peppers and other goodies. Whether or not this turns out to be reality is yet to be seen, but I have to say that my chances this year are pretty fantastic, thanks largely to my wonderful dad and mom and husband, who all worked together to help this pregnant lady put in a garden. We have good soil, rototilled with compost, in full sunlight, near fruit trees that attract bees, surrounded by a wire fence to keep out garden-eating-critters … I am very hopeful and excited! I’ll keep you posted.
The stones are a walking path between rows. We planted zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers,
peppers, beans, onions, spinach, and romaine.
Your kids--both of them--are so blessed to have you as their mom! It'll be exciting to watch them grow into that knowledge as they get older. Happy belated Mother's Day! :-)
ReplyDeleteStephanie