Good Friday

As I remember Christ’s sacrifice today, so many years ago, I am challenged by these words from Amy Carmichael, a missionary to India who started an orphanage and rescued hundreds of Indian children from prostitution and slavery. Amy’s life and writings are incredibly inspiring. And her words on Calvary Love are speaking to me today about what it means to have received such unmerited, gracious forgiveness and love because of Jesus’ death and resurrection.

desert-cross Calvary Love
by Amy Carmichael, from If

If I belittle those whom I am called to serve, talk of their weak points in contrast perhaps with what I think of as my strong points; if I adopt a superior attitude, forgetting “Who made you different from the one you are criticizing—and what do you have that you have not been given?” then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I can enjoy a joke at the expense of another; if I can in any way slight another in conversation, or even in thought, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I can write an unkind letter, speak an unkind word, think an unkind thought without grief and shame, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I do not feel far more for the grieved Savior than for my worried self when troublesome things occur, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I am afraid to speak the truth, lest I lose affection, or lest the one concerned should say, “You do not understand,” or because I fear to lose my reputation for kindness; if I put my own good name before the other's highest good, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I feel bitter toward those who condemn me, as it seems to me, unjustly, forgetting that if they knew me as I know myself they would condemn me much more, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If the praise of others elates me and their blame depresses me; if I cannot rest under misunderstanding without defending myself; if I love to be loved more than to love, to be served more than to serve, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I wonder why something trying is allowed, and press for prayer that it may be removed; if I cannot be trusted with any disappointment, and cannot go on in peace under any mystery, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I covet any place on earth but the dust at the foot of the Cross, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

That which I know not, teach Thou me, O Lord, my God.

Comments

  1. Thank God that Jesus' Calvary love is so much better than mine! Great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gray Day

NYC 10th Anniversary Trip: PART 2

New York City 10th Anniversary Trip: PART 1