Welcome Home, Allison
Yesterday we left the hospital with our very own little girl and brought her home. They're going to let us keep her! For some reason, that is overwhelming to me (in a very good way--I'm just so happy about it). How strange to leave your home on a Monday as just the two of you and to return on Friday with a family of three.
I'm very, very thankful that having a c-section meant a full four days in the hospital. Not only did I have time to gradually recover (with the aid of a bed that moved up and down to help me get in and out), but we also had the option of having Allison room in with us or be whisked away to the nursery when we were desperate for a few hours of sleep. But I think the main benefit was access to lactation consultants. I saw four different consultants multiple times and, boy, did I need all the help I could get! I’d read plenty about breastfeeding and was all ready to go for wide, fish-lipped latch ons and all of that, but it turned out that I needed professional help. A lot of professional help! I’m so glad I wasn’t sent home after a day or two to suffer and bleed in confusion and agony at home. I’ve learned a lot about the football clutch, the importance of lots of pillows, shields and shells and gel packs, and how a pump can help save your sanity.
Nana Alice is still here with us; she will likely head home this weekend and then come back in a week when Seth’s paternity leave is over. We’ve been grateful to have her here and little Allie is glad for bonding time with a sweet Nana who loves her so much. We are all tired, but having a three-adult to one-baby ratio is very helpful, even if only one of the adults can really address the need to feed. But after a feeding, it is so wonderful to know that Nana can look after Allie and her needs while I go slip into a coma for a blissful hour or two (or, rarely, three!).
So we’re trying to figure out what life looks like now that we’re home and parents of a newborn. On the side, we’re trying to figure out what it looks like to buy a house during this busy season. We’re told that the contract is signed and now we’re just waiting for the city to come deal with an issue in turning on the water so that we can have an inspection. It’s exciting but still very surreal.
Okay, it’s taken me all day to write this blog between feedings and naps. I’m off to another nap now!
so, Allie, not Ally? i like it. great update! love the "to/from" hospital pictures. what a great record of this wonderful event! and yay for that house that's going to be YOURS!
ReplyDeleteWow, a new baby and a new house and a new world! Isn't it amazing how someone so little requires so many hands? =-) Welcome home.
ReplyDelete