We Have a Birthdate

I just heard back from the doctor's office and we are scheduled to deliver our breech girl via c-section on Monday July 20th around 2 in the afternoon. It is strange but one of the best perks of a c-section that you get to know your baby's birthdate ahead of time, rather than waiting for nature to take its course. How amazing to think that I have one week from today until I meet this little girl and begin to know her. Of course, there is always a chance that I could go into labor ahead of time (since no one informed my uterus that it doesn't needs to do anything until Monday). If that happens, I guess I'd go to the hospital and have a c-section as soon as necessary. But for now, we're glad to know the date so that Seth can wrap things up at work before taking paternity leave and my parents can make plans to drive or fly up from Nashville to be here for the big event. I'm doing a lot of research about c-sections and feeling more at peace about the whole thing. I know that several of you moms out there have had c-sections and I would love to hear any tips or suggestions you have, especially related to breastfeeding at the beginning. Please email me if you are so inclined!

Comments

  1. Bring a pillow from home. When you leave the hospital, put the pillow against your tummy as you ride home. It will help absorb the bumps on the road. I know this is strange advice and has nothing to do with nursing, but believe me, it will make your journey back home much less painful.

    Congratulations on the upcoming birthdate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out really well for me as well, so my mom and brother could drive down in time for my boys to be born. With my second we asked if she could go to the O.R.! Make sure you ask if Seth can take pictures. They also let us do that the second time around.

    Once the anesthesia kicks in everything happens SO FAST! It's amazing how fast they can get the little thing out!
    The part I was really dreading was the recovery room where you can't be with the baby or anyone for, I think, an hour. But it actually goes by faster than you think. The second time around I got shakes REALLY bad in the recovery room. So be aware that that may happen from all the hormones!
    With all the medication you are pretty out of it, so make sure you tell Seth and your mom (or whoever) that as soon as you get back to the room you want to nurse! My first baby we tried once, and he didn't latch right on, and so they said to just wait. I wish that I had persisted, because we had some problems with him adjusting to the new environment- rapid breathing, jaundice, that would have improved had I nursed him right away.
    I hope this is helpful!! Let me know if you have any more questions!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gray Day

NYC 10th Anniversary Trip: PART 2

New York City 10th Anniversary Trip: PART 1