Unknowns Ahead
As of Sunday, I am 37 weeks pregnant which is considered full term. Although 40 weeks is the goal, it's now considered normal for me to give birth at any time (at least according to books ... it seems very UNnormal to me!). I had an appointment yesterday that confirmed that this girl is still breech, which was disappointing news. The doctor has scheduled an External Cephalic Version (ECV or simply "version") where she pushes externally on my belly in an attempt to manually turn the baby for Thursday afternoon. It's described as significantly uncomfortable and only 50% effective at best; the worst case scenario is that the procedure will cause the baby distress, something will rupture, or something else will go wrong and I'll need an emergency c-section right then.
The best case scenario is that the baby will turn, I'll go home, and we'll wait for labor to come on naturally. A middle case scenario is that the baby will turn but my body will think it's time to go into labor and I'll have have the baby that day/night. For some reason, it's hard to wrap my mind around the fact that I'm scheduling a version but I might also be scheduling my baby's birthday! For Thursday!
Honestly, this has raised my anxiety level a bit. I'm trying to stay relaxed, because I know that helps everyone involved. But I really don't feel ready ... probably because I'm not. We don't have the cradle assembled, I don't have a hospital bag packed, I haven't purchased all the items I need for the hospital bag, the car seat isn't installed, I don't have the baby book started (and I had great ideas about how I'd get it going already with the baby shower and ultrasound pictures and that kind of pre-baby stuff all cutely assembled). I also feel mentally and emotionally under-prepared--do I know how to get the baby to latch on properly and maybe I should have paid closer attention to that chapter on c-sections and I haven't had a chance to clean up the area of our bedroom that has been a dumping ground but is supposed to be the area for a cradle and I meant to write about 300 thoughtful pages in my journal. Perfectionist maybe?
So, while I'm thinking about all of this, the house we have been trying to buy has gone into foreclosure. It's not officially on the market yet (and might not be for months) but we're trying to make an offer now because there is a chance they might accept it early. We've been trying to figure out a price (since there isn't a list price yet) and the amount of earnest money and a closing date.
Here I am once again, faced with the lesson of trusting God and his timing, his ways, and his goodness. I know that I need to relax and allow this all to unfold however it will ... but it's much more tempting to worry and be anxious and try to figure out how to control it. I guess this is a good introduction to parenthood, which I'm told is the ultimate lesson in how you can't control things.
We would appreciate your prayers for the baby and the house and our general well-being. Now I'm off to take a good look at my to-do list. Right after a big fat nap.
Sara, I went through the same exact thing. Jake was breech and we attempted the "version". I will be praying for you. The chances are slim that you will have to go in for emergency c-section. Let me know if you have any questions!!
ReplyDeleteIf it doesn't work, and you want to try something else before giving in to a scheduled c-section, my husband's brother and wife suggested going to a good midwife who will try and turn the baby while you are in a tub/belly underwater.
Praying for you!
i'm praying for peace peace peace! (ok, i mean, peeeeeeeace.) and for a fun little somersault for baby girl.
ReplyDeletePraying for you, my friend!
ReplyDeleteSarah--
ReplyDeleteIf you didn't hear that parenting is the ultimate lesson in how you can't control everything from my dad, I'll be surprised. He says that at least once a week, I bet. Everything will be great--I have had babies in all states of readiness and it always works out. The baby will have no idea what her surroundings look like--only your face, arms and voice.
Love you!
your sister,
Amy
praying for you all night long and all day tomorrow....keep us updated!
ReplyDelete