Election Day

Seth and I just got back from voting. Actually, we just got back from a walk after voting because it's an astonishing 71 degrees outside and we had to make the most of that. Seth is working from home today at the recommendation of his company because their office is right downtown near Grant Park where the Obama campaign will be for election results tonight. It's going to be a crazy traffic fiasco no matter what happens, so we're glad that Seth got to stay home today. Our polling place is about two blocks from our front door, so we strolled over and voted. There was only one person ahead of us in line for the (one) electronic voting machine, and there were several people using the paper ballots. We voted and then decided to walk to our local Starbucks to take advantage of their free-cup-of-coffee-if-you-voted promotion. Did we really need a cup of coffee at 3 in the afternoon? Nope. Do we even like black drip coffee from Starbucks? Nope. But greed took over. We sure love freebies. I'm glad that I have the right to vote and glad that I (at least in principle) have a voice about the way our nation goes. But it was very discouraging to stand in front of my ballot and then to stand in front of the Starbucks menu and to realize which one I am better informed about. I rarely buy coffee at Starbucks, yet I know about the pumpkin spice latte and the frappucinos. I live in this county all the time and have zero idea about the county judges up for reinstatement. It's all a little messed up, and Seth and I both feel like it's hard to be an informed citizen. We want to be intelligent, critical thinkers who evaluate issues and information independently and then do what we think is best. But that is hard work and it's just easier to be lazy and uninformed. In any case, we have a lot to be thankful for today: great weather, a free country, the right to vote, access to free coffee, and great friends and family. Love you guys.

Comments

  1. aw....well said. and i totally agree on the freebie thing even if it isn't my favorite taste! On another note, we might be coming to Chicago around Dec 21...are you guys going to be gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leon made a day of going around town collecting freebies with his "I Voted" sticker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good point about being informed...it can feel discouraging when you're not even sure where to go to get all the facts. but cheers for democracy...and free coffe.
    stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. on electin day i thought about how my ancestors would be furious if i squandered an opportunity that they didn't have. crazy, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. we went by the place to get an absentee ballot last friday and the line was out the door and across the parking lot. tuesday morning, people were in line at 5am. i went over at lunch time and there was no one in line. i waited longer at starbucks to get free coffee! but it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah! I love learning what you are up to by reading your blog! Your Europe trip sounded amazing! I am sorry I don't stay in touch with you! Wheaton isn't all that far from Cape Girardeau, MO. Will you be visiting TN for Thanksgiving or Christmas? I would love to see you.

    Love, Wendy Taliaferro Petzoldt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gray Day

NYC 10th Anniversary Trip: PART 2

New York City 10th Anniversary Trip: PART 1