My Oprah Show

Yesterday was my very fun Oprah show experience. I was hoping to take Seth with me on the show, but his work project has been busy, so he decided that he shouldn't go. My friend Kristen has been staying with us during her spring break, so I was very happy to take her with me to the show. On Tuesday night, we went to a movie theatre in downtown Chicago where we went to a free screening of Baby Mama (and, yes, we got free popcorn and soda). The previews for the movie looked pretty dumb, but we were both very pleasantly surprised. Baba Mama is a funny, clever, clean movie that Kristen and I really enjoyed. I would actually recommend it, especially if you like the comedy of Tina and Amy. We woke up at 4:00 a.m. on Wednesday to get ready and drive to Harpo Studios. We waited in line for awhile before they let us in, took our coats and cameras and cell phones, and got us into another line. The Harpo staff was very efficient, friendly, and well-organized. They also had very good taste because they identified Kristen and me as ravishingly beautiful and sat us in the third row on the left of the stage! Our seats were pretty amazing, so we had excellent views of Oprah and the guests. Unbeknownst to us, the first half of the show was about America's Funniest Home videos, so Tom Bergeron (who is the host of AFV and Dancing with the Stars) was on to show some videos. Seth and I like that show--lots of good clips of cats doing crazy stuff and people falling down. So that was pretty fun. Then out came Tina Fey and Amy Poehler from Saturday Night Live (and now the movie Baby Mama). After Oprah chatted with them awhile and wrapped up the show, she and Tom Bergeron filmed a few promo commercials for the show...standing about six feet away from Kristen and me. The whole thing was fun and interesting. The studio/set were smaller than I expected, and the women in the audience were a little less crazy than I had expected (I guess I had mental images of ladies in a frenzy about getting free things). We kept hoping that at some point Oprah would announce that the show was really about giving us a car or all her favorite things, but we did manage to score a 3 DVD set from America's Funniest Home Videos. I think the show will air on Thursday, April 17th. I'll keep you posted, but meanwhile, be sure to watch next Thursday! Look for me to the left of the stage in the third row, wearing an olive green sweater.

Comments

  1. fun times! you are officially a chicagoan now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! i'm so excited that you got free stuff -- free movie, popcorn, soda, and DVDs! what a fun day! i'm sure krissy's excited that she came to visit you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was there for 8 years and never made it to oprah. i'm so glad you got to go! please remind us when the show is about to air so that we can watch for you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gray Day

NYC 10th Anniversary Trip: PART 2

New York City 10th Anniversary Trip: PART 1